The Photographer's Guide to Copyright
by PhotoShelter and the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP)
Navigating copyright can be a daunting task. So, we’ve partnered with the experts at ASMP to break down this important subject and help you, the photographer, take the necessary steps to protect your work.
- Discover your 6 exclusive rights under copyright law.
- Learn how to secure your photos and avoid infringement.
- Get tips to register your work through the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Understand steps to take if you are infringed.
Learn your rights and protect your photos.
Get tips to keep your work safe, plus read in-depth interviews from photographers and experts from ASMP, including Executive Director Eugene Mopsik and General Counsel and Managing Director Vic Perlman, who address:
- Major trends in copyright today.
- How to make copyright registration part of your workflow.
- The risks to weigh before posting your photos to social networks.
- What counts as “Fair Use”, plus major learnings from recent court cases.
- Copyright for motion and video.
- What it takes to bring an infringement case to court and ways to avoid it.
Also check out the guide for a long list of additional resources to learn more about copyright for photographers.
Get your free guide now
This guide will be emailed to you as a PDF. We won’t sell or distribute your email address. It’s protected by a gang of inebriated stripmall tattoo artists.
"This guide will help you break down copyright law, understand your rights as a photographer, and take steps to protect your work from infringement. It’s a go-to resource for photographers who want to be proactive and keep their images safe."
“The endgame for most imaging professionals is fair compensation. This guide clarifies the path to proper copyright registration which ultimately helps to preserve the licensing model and creates an income stream from our works. Protect your work, protect your future.”
ASMP Executive Director